A Really Long Halloween Post......

 I love the fabrics on this banner. I just pinked the edges because I'm lazy and needed a quick project.The wind has really given it a beating, so I just pretend that I was going for that "deconstructed" look.
 I wasn't sure if Miss A would wear her actual costume and I wanted her to have a few options that didn't include the super ratty princess dress that she loves. I made this crown and wand from cheese cloth. Pretty cute if I do say so myself.
 I also made a capelet and a little black dress to have on hand. There has been much pretending to be a witch due to all the Halloween songs at preschool.
 For my mantle banner, I spent a little more time. The triangles actually have a front and back piece and it was all a little more involved (but not much) than my porch one. I used Riley Blake "Boo to You" fat quarters for the flags. I made a basket liner with black dot and giant rick rack from my stash and gathered up all the Halloween books in the house to put in it. It was fun to have all the "spooky" books in one place.
And here's the actual costume. Which she did wear. I've had the out of print pattern for years. It was a strange little pattern. I'm still not sure why there was all the attention to detail (faux fly, piping on the pants, topstitching on the back pockets, etc) and then the hokey felt fringe and collar. I kept telling myself there was some great reason I was unaware of, but nope. Just crappy instructions, no reason. The loopy decoration detail was supposed to be painted on, but I didn't have the patience to let it dry and I couldn't maintain a consistent line. So I used piping under the yoke and rattail braid.
Here is S and husband's pumpkin creation. It rained on it and kind of messed it up. G's cardboard Lego costume didn't fair so well. But still, it's pretty awesome. Behind the eyes and bill the pumpkin is cut out so it had a cool glowing effect.

1 comment:

Chris and Michelle said...

You're killin' me Martha Stewart. Seriously from homemade costume options (the cape AND Jessie?!)to the Lego costume which I saw first hand and was brilliant, to the adorable pumpkin hat, darling banners inside and out and the BASKET liner? I don't think I could get that many projects done in a YEAR and forget about the perfection that you put into it. You amaze me! That's all. :) :)Oh and love B's pumpkin, too.